"Education is increasingly driven by the economics of scale and research funding within a global ecology. We propose an alternative online open and connected framework (OOC) for building global learning communities using mobile social media, based upon a shared vision. In this paper we explore our experiences of building collaborative global learning communities through developing and sustaining a global community of practice (CoP) of mlearning researchers and practitioners over three years. This has resulted in the development of a framework for utilizing mobile social media to support collaborative curriculum development focused upon redefining pedagogy across international boundaries. The framework is informed by a critique of the reified activity of the CoP, including the development of student-generated mobile social media projects that have been used to broker collaboration across six different educational contexts around the globe."Cochrane, T., Buchem, I., Camacho, M., Cronin, C., Gordon, A., & Keegan, H. (2013). Building global learning communities. Research in Learning Technology, 21(ALT-C 2013 Conference Proceedings - Building new cultures of learning).
- RLT research paper: http://www.researchinlearningtechnology.net/index.php/rlt/article/view/21955
- ALTC2013 Conference presentation page http://altc2013.alt.ac.uk/sessions/building-global-learning-communities-351/
- Presentation slides: http://bit.ly/17935RB
- Summary of ALTC2013 via Storify: http://storify.com/thomcochrane/alt-c2013
- Photos of ALTC2013 and EC-TEL13